Caprese a.k.a. Summer’s #1 Gift

99% of why I like summer is tomato season. The other 1% is day drinking near or in various bodies of water. But really, tomatoes. There’s no real recipe here, it’s just buy some beautiful tomatoes, cut them up, add some fresh mozzarella, pile on some other things you like, and sop it all up with some crusty bread.

Really this post is just about the fact that I was feeling pinterest-y one day and got carried away with caper berries, olives, and radishes. The result was pretty, and maybe will inspire you to want tomatoes. You can’t go wrong, whether you’re a traditionalist (tomato, basil, mozzarella, THE END) or whether you’re feeling a little bit extra…….

Ingredients:

  • Heirloom/in-season tomatoes of any type or color
  • Fresh mozzarella – ideally in brine, that’s the good stuff
  • Fresh basil
  • Olive oil – the fancier the better
  • Balsamic Vinegar
  • Salt and pepper – coarse ground salt is the best for this
  • Really crusty bread for sopping it all up.
  • Optional: olives, caper berries, roasted tomatoes, roasted peppers, radishes, any other delicious things you want to throw in for maximum enjoyability.

Preparation:

After cutting up and assembling the tomatoes and mozzarella, drizzle a healthy amount of olive oil and a modest amount of balsamic vinegar on top. Either leave the basil leaves whole or wait until right before serving to gently tear the basil into smaller pieces to scatter on top. Basil bruises and turns black pretty quickly, which doesn’t taste bad necessarily but isn’t very pretty or appetizing. Top it all off with a few pinches of coarse ground salt and pepper.

IMG-1036

I should just be posting all my caprese adventures all summer. Here’s another recent happy lunch. More traditional this time around.

One Comment Add yours

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s